BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 23, 2012

One of Us

When I was a kid, I had a dream in which I was asked by a lady teacher "what would I prefer to be? a God or a Human?" to which I remember, I replied "Of course God.. Madam" without giving much thought to what it exactly meant. Now when I think of it, I am certain that my answer would be otherwise. If anybody asked me who would I wanna be if given a chance, I would reply " Someone who is like me but more human than what I am right now.."! Everything we see, feel, hear, smell is a creation of God including us.He has put so much of thought and effort in creating this world that there is no place for errors in his creation. But still, we typical humans manage to point errors in his creation..Don't we? Why?
 Every time when I was sick, my mother would tell me if I eat whatever she serves me, she will make Gulab Jamoon for me. Because it was my favorite dish, I gave in to her every time she made an offer to me. It was a dish she was very amateur at. Her multiple attempts to make Jamoons round in shape were failing and she would get disappointed at that. I had to comfort her not only because she is my mother but also because she is human too just like I am. I would tell her in return that it doesn't matter what shape they take. All of them may have different shapes and sizes but they all taste the same and as long as they taste delicious, why do I care what shape and size they have?" And she would hug me tightly. I didnt know what was the great deal about what I said. I believed thats how things are supposed to be. But now when I look at the world, I get amazed at it. It disappoints me overwhelmingly.
                            When I came to know that there is an event held at town hall honoring all the transgender people who lost their lives as a result of transphobia, I decided to be there. I wanted to be a part of it even when I knew no one of them.Do I have to be a transperson or gay or lesbian or bisexual person to attend this? Does a human attendance doesn't count? Why do we always have to make things complicated by labeling things and by classifying people into classes. Why cant we accept people as who they are and get along with life? Society sucks big time, I tell to myself. To me, it was humans attending an event to honor the humans who died as a result of racism. It felt great to be there, joining hands, lighting candles, coming together to honor the dead who would be remembered for who they were, not for what happened to them. It is saddening that our society is not as broad minded as it pretends to be. The crimes committed against the trans people is ironical in every sense possible. At one end, they pay respect to Shri krishna ( Shri vishnu's avatar) and on the other end they are raping/mobbing/abusing and killing the airavatis( Shri Vishnu's avatar). During the remembrance, a lot of voices talked about how unfair the government and society has been to the trans community and how much they are struggling for basic needs.For instance, at hospitals,doctors do not ask what are they suffering from. They ask what are you? male or female? isn't a patient a patient?. The question lingers..
            Everything in life has a first time. First time need not be a pleasant experience and one need not be too prejudiced about things they do not know about. Whenever your friend introduces you to one of his friends, it might strike you that there is something about that friend that is different. Don't we let go of our prejudices and try knowing the person ? Be it a Gay or Lesbian or Transgender person, first of all they are humans just like you, me or anybody we know. If you can make friends with strangers in train compartment over a night journey, why can't you talk nicely or treat transgender people with a little respect. They are not asking for a share in your salary, or a place to reside at your home or time from your busy calender. They are asking for acceptance. Acceptance as a human by the society. Acceptance as who they are. People like you and I make society. Why not leave all these differences aside and pass a smile at someone you think deserves to get one? After all they are one of us.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

sid, after a long time u have written something, it's nice to hear from you...